Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Hodgepodge of Thoughts and Observances

On Apartment Life:


Keys
     I never thought I'd miss the stupid Chi-O keypad with the code that I either couldn't remember or didn't work, but I really do. I hate keys. I especially hate having to use four keys when I'm trying to come home after a night on the town.
     First I have to use a key to open the big white gate that leads into our apartment. Then I have to use a key which looks exactly the same as the first one to get inside my apartment complex. After I walk up five flights of stairs I use the third key to get into a doorway that leads to two other doors, one of which is the door to my apartment which, you guessed it, I need to use my final key to open. If I'm ever about to get taken, I'm screwed because I'll never make it to my apartment in time.

Refrigerator/Freezer
     I'm thankful to have a fridge/freezer that keeps my food cold, but there is a limit to how cold I want my stuff. For example, my roomies put a bottle of wine in our freezer and it froze and exploded, forcing them to drink a wine slushie that evening.
     All I simply wanted to do was keep my bag of apples cool and crispy in the fridge. However, my apples were toward the back of the fridge and were frozen solid when I went to grab them. I really wanted an apple though so I thought I'd just leave it out an hour or so to thaw and then eat it, I was sadly mistaken.

Our fridge needs to stop being an overachiever
Showering
    Another very interesting experience over here. We have one of those standing showers with a curtain that goes around you and starts to cling to you when you're trying to shower. Also water leaks all over the floor if you keep the shower handle thing in the holder (I'm sure how to describe it except for the handle thing you use in a sit down shower??). So you have to take the handle out of the holder and use it to rinse off. Then you turn it off and shampoo. Turn back on, rinse. Turn off, use conditioner. Turn on, rinse. Turn off, soap up. Turn on, rinse. I figure I'll end up saving enough water over these four months to make up for the half hour showers I would take at home.


But some of the best things about apartment life are my awesome roomiezzz and all the fun we have (omg luv u gurliezzz). But seriously, they're all really chill and cool and we make awesome family dinners together like this one.

We can cook!!


On Shopping at Simply Market

Cheese
     Cheese is pretty big here, they have lots of it and use it on everything, which I am totally fine with it. In the words of Elise Chambers "all you need is carbs and cheese". The only problem is I do not yet speak Italian which makes buying cheese (as well as most other foods) kinda difficult. For example, the other day we were shopping and my roommate Gina asked what kind of cheese we bought and informed us that hers was formaggio. We had a little chuckle as we informed her that formaggio was the Italian word for cheese, not a type of cheese. So I purchased my cheese by the classic method of finding a cheap one and smelling it. I found a cheap one that smelled pretty good and it ended up being parmesean so win for me. 

Nutella
    There's not really a story behind this one I just wanted to add it to tell the world how much I LOVE nutella. Like seriously obssessed. In addition to the wine collection we have on our cabinets we are also starting a nutella jar collection. Pictures of that to come.


That's really it for now. We went to the weekly market earlier outside our apt, but it's been cold and rainy so we've just been chilling all day.

Oh, one more thing. The Italian phrase for good luck is "in bocca al lupo" which translates to "in the mouth of the wolf"??? And apparently the correct response is "crepi il lupo" which translates something along the lines of "kill the wolf"?? I don't really understand this one yet but I'll figure it out.

So to my Bears tonight, In bocca al lupo
...Crepi il packers

I'll be seeing you at Scholars. Ciao Ciao.






1 comment:

  1. in 'bocca al lupo' comes from the legendary foundation of the city of rome! the twins romulus and remus were nursed by a female wolf and cared for when they were left by the Tiber river to die. Only by this miraculous intervention were they able to survive and found the city so thats why its used as a good luck phrase! Also its very important that you answer with 'crepi il lupo' because if you answer with 'grazie' you wont have good luck! and that wouldnt be good! Hope youre having fun!

    ReplyDelete