Sunday, February 6, 2011

Hey Yo Beef Cheeks--Prague, Czech Republic

So I hope that the delayed nature of this post will only further increase your desire to read it. For it was over one week ago that I departed for Prague and you probably thought that my trip was in the works to become the plot line for Hostel 3 Hostel 4 (to insure accuracy I googled to see how many Hostel movies were made and apparently number 3 slipped by me).  But fear not, I'm alive and wish to share some of my Praguian experiences.

Our Hostel
      Surprisingly not super sketch, although the check-in office did reek of b.o (but honestly what doesn't in Europe). It was actually an apartment/hostel, so we met some kids who were doing a film study abroad program in Prague for the semester and lived at our hostel. They were even kind enough to invite us to their pregame one night complete with a dj and turntables. Oh and about the amenities I mentioned in my previous post, we did not bother to inquire about the topless bar, but the free beer was real and we took advantage of that.




    
The Sights
     On Friday we decided to do a free three hour walking tour which was the best decision ever. We had an amazing tour guide named Remo from Australia who took us all over the city and taught us so much about the different buildings and their history. Then on Saturday we did the Prague Castle tour with Filip, a Czech college student who was one of the funniest people I've met so far in Europe. I'll try and keep this part quick and just give you some highlights and pictures.



Astronomical Clock Tower- Not only does it tell regular time but also old prague time, zodiac time, unequal hours, and shows position of the sun and moon. It even predicted an eclipse last year, not bad for a 600 year old clock. Legend has it that the man who created the clock had his eyes poked out and tongue cut off by the commissioners of the clock so that nowhere else in Europe would have clock this baller.

Clock Tower


Close-Up of Clock Face


John Lennon Wall
Prague Castle from St. Charles Bridge

I have to write a journal entry about this trip still for my Layers of Rome class, so if you want to read more about the tours and the history (mom and dad), I'll put a link up for that because it's such an interesting city. But moving on...

The Food
Since my study abroad program is titled Food & Culture, I have decided it is my duty as an eager academic to immerse myself in every culture I visit by eating copious amounts of their local cuisines (rough life I know).  Prague was a great place to start. The food was completely different than the Mediterranean food of Rome, but delicious nonetheless. For a detailed description of my food critiques I will put up the link to my new food blog I had to make for class.

Night #1:Chicken Beefsteak w/a creamy spinach cheese sauce & fries
Apple Pie Dessert

Night #2: Beefcheeks and potatoes

Pancake & Fruit Dessert

Note the Pilsner beer that accompanies every meal. Beer is cheaper than water and I'm obviously on a budget.

The Nightlife
   Last but surely not least. Prague has a crazy nightlife scene that wore me out after three nights. The first night we went to a typical tourist place called Beer Factory. There was a tap in the middle of the table that kept track of how much your table drank. 

Wall w/each tables tally. Obviously my table was winning
We even made some Euro friends that night and had a dance party with them!
Corinne & I with our new friends
Friday night we went to a sweet underground Czech bar. For all of you Lord of the Ring fans out there just think of the dwarf mines of moria and that's basically what it felt like walking down into this bar. But it was a great chill night. Some of our group went to a somewhat sketch Euro club after and the rest of us headed to another bar.

For our last night we decided to go big or go home, which meant it was finally time for the 5 story club. If you plan on going to Prague, go there!! It was soooo much fun. Each floor had a different theme, layout and music. First floor was "Radio Hits", second floor was "Dancefloor"(euro techno beats), third floor was "Oldies" (where I spent majority of my night), and the fourth floor was "Black Music" (rap and hip-hop. they aren't really concerned with political correctness in the Czech Republic). The fifth floor was sadly rented out for a private party which I obviously tried to sneak into but failed (I'm 0 for 2 now trying to sneak in places in Europe, I'm really losing my game). There was also a trippy room filled with lights and mirrors.

Soooo Euro

So that was basically it for my weekend in Prague, sorry this was super long! But word to the wise if you plan on traveling here. It was soooo cold so wait until it's warmer to go otherwise make sure you bundle up, or you'll end up looking like this super flattering picture of me....

Forced to turn my scarf into a babushka

Ciao for now!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment