Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vive il Vino

I woke up this morning to an uncharacteristically rainy day in Rome. After a solid month of consistent sun and 58 degree + weather, this morning was an unwelcome change of pace that made me want to lay in bed all day (a little dramatic I know, but hey I've been spoiled here). But being the dedicated student that I am, I braved the elements (and the packed tram full of crazies) and headed out to school for what turned out to be a great day.

After a morning of TV script writing, intense euchre games during break, and hangman in Italian class, we headed over to a restaurant in Testaccio for our first wine tasting seminar. Before coming to Italy I wasn't big into wine because I had never had much experience drinking it, and let's be honest, you can't order it at Kams. Although after only a month in Rome I am now a certified wino and will be writing Kams requesting that they create a wine cellar in the basement. 

We sampled four different wines today. Two whites, a chianti, and a delicious dessert wine. Fredrico taught us all about the different steps in the tasting process. From sight, to smell to the taste, it was a lot more complicated than I thought it would be. He was whipping out very unusual smells and tastes to describe our wines such as leather, animals, fur, vegetables, etc. I couldn't taste any animals in my wine, but somehow I don't think I'm missing out. 

Because of the order in which they poured everyone's wine, I ended up being the last to be served every time. So the server always just poured whatever remained in the bottle in my glass, resulting in significantly larger glasses than everyone else, but I'm not complaining. Every wine we tasted was delicious and will probably make the one euro wine I've been drinking taste like natty light (apologies to Mary Beard if she reads this) when compared to a blue moon. 

Throughout the tasting, those who owned cameras wanted to document our experience so many a pictures were taken. At one point Fredrico wanted our attention and said "Stop taking pictures like you are giaponesse" Lolz, like I've said before, Europeans aren't to concerned with political correctness. 

It was a simple day, but it was a good day. That's definitely something I've been learning here. It's been amazing and I'm so grateful to be able to do all of this traveling and see parts of the world most people only read about. But some of the best days I've had have just been spent in Rome doing the simple things like bike riding, having a picnic, or drinking good wine with good friends (i'm cheezing hardcore right now and I apologize).

So I just decided that I'm going to close every post from now on with a piece of advice, whether it be practical, cheesy, funny or even totally unapplicable to any situation. Today I'll go with cheesy.

No matter where you are in life, enjoy the simple things. The day to day moments that perhaps on their own don't mean much, but when added together can create something more meaningful than any of your big plans that bring with them big expectations. Learn to love the little moments and life might just seem a little fuller.

And to those who were wondering where the mushiness found in this blog came from...I blame it on 4 glasses of vino. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment