Sunday, March 27, 2011

Toup Comes to Town

I'm back!

It's been a crazy past two weeks with midterms, Toup's visit and Spring Break and I don't think things are gonna slow down as I enter the last month and a half of my trip (a fact a try to avoid thinking about). But I will try to stay updated as much as I can! Before I recap my $pRiNg BrIzAk Adventurezzz, I feel it is necessary to share the story of Gwen & Toup's Excellent Adventure.

So Wednesday night my friend Catherine aka Toups (we're like in the same sorority and obvi you have nicknames for everyone duhhh) came to visit. It was probably the coolest night for her to get here because it was Italy's 150th birthday party!!!! The streets were packed with people waving flags and singing and a bunch of the buildings were lit up red, white and green to resemble the Italian flag. Pretty solid first impression.


The next day I had class and was supposed to meet up with Toup after, but as always a carrier pigeon would've been a more effective way of communication than my stupid Italian phone. Luckily she found her way back to my apartment and it was all good. As we were outlining our night we realized that it would be more efficient for us to go out for the night straight from dinner, so we had a lovely little pre-dinner vino happy hour and headed over to Dar Poeta (it was the fourth time I'd been there in a week).  


Since it was St. Patrick's Day and all we decided to celebrate by doing an irish pub crawl throughout Rome. Success. We hit up some pubs, drank some pints, told people it was her birthday and got lots of free drinks. As we walked home to the birds chirping I wondered if Toup was gonna make it to her 6:30 train to Florence the next morning.....

 As fate (or alcohol and a lack of sleep) would have it. She did not make her train, but it was totally fine because we had the BEST DAY EVER!! But seriously, my favorite day in Rome. It was a beautiful warm sunny day, we walked around got gelato and headed up to the Borghese Gardens to rent some bikes.

Now some of you (sorry mom!) might not like what happens next, but it is part of what made our day so great. As we were riding our bikes around the gardens we were having so much fun exploring and were getting farther and farther from the bike renting place. We also realized how sweet it would be to take these bikes and be able to see all of Rome. So we did kind of a bad thing. We borrowed the bikes. I use the term borrow, not steal because I fully intend to return the bikes before I leave the country.

Anyway we had bikes and we had the whole day ahead of us so we did a 5 hour biking tour of Rome. We saw pretty much every major site in Rome and explored some areas I hadn't even seen yet. We biked in circles around the Colosseum ringing our bike bells and being assholes. Basically we felt like our lives were a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie.




We even biked around St. Peter's Square until the Vatican police drove up in his golfcart and yelled at us. I don't understand why bikes aren't allowed there but golfcarts are??


 Anyway we ended the day getting some panini(s?) from my favorite place near the Vatican and ran into her friend from high school who happened to be eating gelato in the same piazza who I happened to randomly meet at a bar earlier that week. The world is too small.

We got home right as it started to rain, so perfect timing. Chilled for a bit then got ready and went out for another delicious dinner. We were exhausted and both had to be up early the next day so decided to meet up with some friends out then leave around 12. Obviously that never works end we ended up going home at 3:30. I then had to wake up around 7:30 to pack and leave for my week long spring break trip.

Probably not some of the best decisions but I had so much fun and still managed to make it out every night of spring break, although I did take a nap at the bar one night in Galway. But stories from then to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment