Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Da Gurs do Rome

Time is not my friend this week. With 3 midterms, finalizing travel itineraries for the rest of the semester, and Toups coming to visit, I'm gonna have to speed recap the past week before I jet off on my honeymoon with Corinne/Barca ragefest/Irish music filled extravaganza known as Spring Break 2011.

As I alluded to last week, this post will be about the binge-eating, church-filled week I spent when my mom and my sister visited me in Roma.

They brought to Rome a much needed week of sun after two weeks of solid rain. I forced them to push through their jet lag and took them biking down the Appian Way (no cameras were lost this time). It was a beautiful day, many of the wildflowers were blooming which means spring is springing here in Roma. Afterwards we went to the catacombs, which was a first for me.

The next day I ditched class (my mom even encouraged it!) and we went to the St. Peter's Basilica and climbed to the top for a panoramic view of the city. After finding a delicious sandwich place and grabbing some gelato we headed to the Vatican Museum (the inspiration for statues inspired by statues). Tuesday I met them up after class to visit the Roman forum and Wednesday they did a day trip to Pompeii. Thursday and Friday (when I ditch class...AGAIN) were spent walking around Rome (visiting the Trevi, Pantheon Spanish Steps, etc), shopping, visiting the gardens and of course eating more gelato. 


I'm fairly certain I packed on an extra 10lbs during their stay but it was so worth it. We hit up Dar Poeta (my favorite pizza place) twice and I showed them first hand how much Italy has increased my already impressive eating capacity. The second time we went there we ordered a dessert that is BETTER than banana nutella crepes. It is called a nutella and ricotta cheese calzone (might sound a tad strange but trust me). For those who have not heard however, I am giving up Nutella for Lent which had obviously proved to be difficult considering I ordered the calzone on Thursday. But hey, even my mom said it was ok so I'm sure God won't mind. 


Another major theme of their visit was churches. My mom seemed to make it her mission to try and visit every church we passed while walking around the city. Which, for any of you who know the city, means one out of every three buildings, no joke. I went into more churches in that week span than I have for the past two months I've been here. 


Their last night here we went out to Trattoria da Pallora for a massive authentic Roman meal. There is no menu and they just bring you 5 courses of what they want to and it's all delicious.  The only catch is don't question what the food is, you may not want to know. For over three hours talked, laughed and caught up while Pallora in her little turban brought out more and more food.

It was the perfect end to the week, although I wish they could've stayed longer. Rome may be my home for now, but having them visit made me remember that my real home is wherever those you love are. So thank you both for giving me a week of truly being at home!


I wish I could've elaborated more on their week but I have so much to do!!

Things to Look Forward To:
1. Sunday Funday
2. Statues Inspired By Statues
3. Toup Comes to Town
4. Spring Break

No comments:

Post a Comment